A 21st Century librarian must:
- Enhance students’ academic achievement by promoting reading and literacy, inquiry, analysis, critical thinking, and knowledge construction.
- Prepare learners for 21st century media literacy by providing resources and instruction in multiple formats including books, periodicals, databases, e-books, digital libraries, and educational web resources.
- Create a flexible, inviting, motivating, and useful learning-resource environment both online and off to develop an active learning community.
- Promote equitable access to information and resources, both physical and digital, for all students and community members.
- Model life-long learning by actively developing professionally and participate in ever-evolving trends in librarianship.